If you’ve heard about the changes to the trade licence and trades registration in Victoria, but are not sure what it’s all about, you’ve come to the right place. Here, we’ll explain the changes to the trades registration and trade licence in Victoria.

How long do I have?

It is anticipated the new regulations for carpentry work will be in place by 1 September 2020 to coincide with the commencement of the general framework in the Building Act 1993. However, to give industry a chance to plan and prepare for change, the regulations, subject to consultation and implementation considerations, may commence at a later date, for example in 2021.

As you can see in the diagram above, the program will have a staggered implementation to eventually include all trades that work in the building industry.

If you do not obtain a provisional registration or a licence by the required date, it will be an offence for you to work on a building site in Victoria. You will be liable to prosecution.

What do I have to do?

Here’s what the government is saying so far.

To be a registered trade/registered builder in Victoria, you have to submit an application to the Victorian Building Authority (VBA). You need to choose the category of domestic builder – limited (DB-L) registration.

To be a licenced trade, you need to submit a separate application. But the exact requirements of this application have not been announced yet.

What’s the difference between registration and licensing?

Based on Government information so far, a registered trade or registered builder can work as a contractor or employee.

In contrast, a trade who holds a licence only, can only work on a building site as an employee. A licenced trade cannot be a contractor. It’s not confirmed yet, but it’s also likely that a licenced trade will need to have a trade certificate.

Will apprentices be affected?

Apprentices and trainees will be exempt, provided they are employed under a training contract by an approved employer.

I’m a domestic builder. Am I affected?

If you are a Registered Domestic Builders (Unlimited) (DB-U), you are already allowed to do all types of domestic building work in Victoria. This means you don’t have to apply for registration or licencing for a particular trade, i.e. you don’t have to apply to be a Domestic Builder (Limited).

 How Platinum Institute Australia can help

The new changes are going to impact trades working as subcontractors who are not registered. The changes may impact your ability to work in your current capacity.

Platinum Institute Australia have specialists who are here to help. Our staff can give you advice and information on your pathway to registration, so that you can continue working.


The CPC40110 Certificate IV in Building and Construction (Building) covers most of the knowledge requirements to gain your registration or licence.  Combined with 3 years practical experience, this course is considered one of the most reputable ways to become a Registered Builder.